Blog Searched

Top Menu

Friday, December 7, 2012

THE POWER OF INSIGHT - By: Fr. Joel Jason

I will never forget the first time I flew in an airplane. It was a trip to Cebu and the plane I took was a small one. I was nervous because of the inclement weather. The sky was dark and the clouds were thick. As the plane took off, it began to rain hard. To calm my anxiety, I took out my rosary and started praying. Then I noticed the flight attendant who was seated facing me. She looked very calm. She even smiled at me when our eyes met. I said to myself, “Is there something she knows that I do not know?” All I could see was darkness and heavy rain and there she was, all smiles and a picture of perfect peace and serenity.
The plane began to pick up altitude. Up ahead I saw a thick mass of dark cloud. I started fingering my rosary a little faster. And then it happened. After passing through a thick black cloud, my eyes were greeted by bright rays of sunshine. I couldn’t believe it – behind the cloudy skies was a welcome burst of daylight! While all I could see were the clouds and the darkness, the flight attendant could see the sunshine behind it all.
In today’s Gospel (Matthew 9:27-31), Jesus restores the sight of two blind men. There seems to be nothing ordinary with those men, except when they began speaking. When they called out, they addressed Jesus as “Son of David” and “Lord.” These are “messianic” titles every Jew anticipates of the coming Messiah. The religious leaders of Jesus’ time saw Him, but they did not see Him as the “Son of David” or “Messiah,” or maybe they refused to. The blind men, on the contrary, did. This goes to show that while they did not have sight, they had insight into who Jesus is.
On my first plane ride, sight sowed fear in my heart as I saw nothing but darkness and clouds. Insight born out of experience gave peace and serenity to that flight attendant. Sight robbed me of the opportunity to enjoy my first plane ride. Insight gave the flight attendant a ready smile and sunny disposition. 
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Give a thorn to an insightful man and he will see roses. Give him sand and he will find sea. How about you?
 
Lord Jesus, grant me the grace of insight more than sight, that I may see the world in a different light. Amen.