Blog Searched

Top Menu

Friday, December 7, 2012

GOSPEL READING TODAY - THE HEALING OF TWO BLIND MEN

  
Matthew 9:27-31

27And as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed [him], crying out, “Son of David, have pity on us!” 28When he entered the house, the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I can do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they said to him. 29Then he touched their eyes and said, “Let it be done for you according to your faith.” 30And their eyes were opened. Jesus warned them sternly, “See that no one knows about this.” 31But they went out and spread word of him through all that land.

Reflection
Jesus asked them, “Do you believe that I can [heal] you?” ~ v. 28
Belief in Jesus is basically a commitment to accept Jesus for what he claimed to be: the Son of God. “Until one is committed, there is hesitancy” says Scottish mountaineer and writer W. H. Murray. “The moment one definitely commits oneself, even Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur … which no one could have dreamt would have come his way.”
To what extent have I committed myself irrevocably to Jesus Christ? Can I put my finger on one thing “which no one could have dreamt” that can be traced to my commitment to Jesus Christ?
“It is love that makes faith, not faith love.” ~ Saint John Henry Newman
Reflection Credits: Mark Link, SJ, Daily Homilies, slightly adapted