Blog Searched

Top Menu

Monday, September 9, 2013

TO SAVE OR DESTROY LIFE? - Fr. Erick Y. Santos, OFS

Once, a Chinese man requested me to bless his car. But I reminded him that he was a Buddhist and not Catholic. I could not, in my discernment, bless his car in any way. He pleaded, “Father, please! Bless my car.” But I was firm because he was a Buddhist. Suddenly he said, “OK, I’ll bring my car to the neighboring church and have it blessed.” And he asked, “Father, would it be OK if I donate P100,000 to the parish that would bless my car?” I answered, “Oh, why did you not tell me earlier that your car is a Catholic?” To complete the story, the car was blessed.
       The priests would always invoke the overused term “for pastoral reason” in relaxing some Church disciplines or rules. This speaks of the modern priests’ flexibility on some norms and rules, as long as it does not destroy the life of the Church.
       Jesus shows flexibility and the meaning of “pastoral reason” when He cured the man with a withered hand on the Sabbath. He opines, “Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath rather than do evil; to save life rather than to destroy it?” For Jesus, first things come first. The urgent need was the man’s healing. He would not waste time any further. If the good that is being sought is urgent, Jesus would defy the revered Sabbath law to grant healing to the sick man. He shows His practical side by allowing healing on a day that it is forbidden.
       In our life, too, our availability for the needy, the sick and the destitute goes beyond any regulation, rules or laws. There is always urgency in reaching out to those in need. It is a Christian obligation which we need to fulfill at every opportunity. There should be no turning back, as doing so would go against the will of Jesus, who went against traditions and laws if only to spell out the real meaning of love, the greatest of all laws, and the law that embodies Jesus as He is love and compassion in Himself.
       True love and compassion know no bounds and defy any laws. After all, love and compassion are personified in Jesus.