Blog Searched

Top Menu

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stories of Scattered Cotton Bits - (Slandering is worse than killing)



Once upon a time, there was a rich politician who had big influence in the society. As a politician, he had to travel often. But, because of bad influence from his friends, he started gambling. At first, the amount was small, but since he could not control his desire to win and get back what he had lost, he lost his mind, too. At the end, he lost all he had earned from his hard work. He went bankrupt. His wife and children were neglected.

No other people knew about his gambling. So in order to cover this shameful habit, he started to spread the rumour that his bankruptcy was caused by his trusted friend. He said that his best friend had betrayed him and taken away his money.
The rumour spread fast. The politician's friend could not stand it and got sick. He became very thin like a living skeleton. His whole family also suffered a lot. Every time they went out, people would look at them suspiciously. They were even isolated by the community.

Never had the politician thought that the impact of his lies would be this bad. He hurriedly visited his friend, asking for forgiveness. "My dear friend, I must admit that I was wrong, putting the blame on you and slandering you. With all my heart, I seek pardon. Is there anything I can do to make up for my evil deed?"
The other man said weakly, "I have two requests. First, please take a pillow and go to the roof of this house. Upon reaching the roof, take out a little bit of cotton from the pillow and spread it bit by bit."

Although he did not understand the reason behind this, the politician did it. After spreading all the cotton, he rushed back to the dying man.

"I have done your first request. What is your second request?"

"Now, collect the entire cotton bits you have spread earlier," said his friend with his weaker voice.

The politician was silent for a while, and then answered sadly, "I am so sorry, my friend, but I cannot grant you your wish. The cotton bits are everywhere now, it is impossible to recollect them anymore."

With his last effort, his friend answered, "It's exactly the same as the lies you have spread. The rumour will not stop just because you regret it or because you are sorry."

The politician was again silenced. "I know you are my true friend, indeed. Although I have made a blunder, you're still willing to give me a valuable lesson. I promise to do my very best to repair the damage I've made. Once again, please forgive me, my friend. And thank you for your lesson."

With tears in his eyes, the politician hugged his true friend.